Foundation / Corporation
American Library Association (ALA)
Award of $3,500 to a USA or Canada library that demonstrates the greatest merit for a program of staff development designed to further the goals and objectives of the library organization. For the purpose of this grant program, a library organization is defined as any of the following:
- Individual library;
- Library system;
- Group of cooperating libraries;
- State governmental agency; or
- Local, state, or regional association.
Staff development is defined as: "a program of learning activities that is developed by the library organization and develops the on-the-job staff capability and improves the abilities of personnel to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the library organization."
The criteria for selection of a grant winner include:
- Clearly defined documentation of the need in relation to staff development and the organizational goals and objectives;
- A well-defined program that addresses the needs;
- Evidence that the proposal is part of the organization's ongoing staff development program;
- The commitment and demonstrated ability to implement the program;
- The evaluation methodology that includes assessing the program's impact on the library and that is appropriate to the outlined program; and
- How well the proposal follows the application instructions.
Proposals are judged for:
- Clear statement of organization goals and objective.
- Clear statement of the link between library objectives and project objectives.
- Identifying the audience for the program and developing a program directed at that audience.
- Documenting the need for the program (is the need well-defined and important?)
- The quality of the design of the program.
- The clearness of the action plan and calendar, and the likelihood of the completion of the program in the stated timeframe.
- Whether the needed resources are available (including staff) to make the program a success.
- Whether the budget is adequate and reasonable for the program.
- Whether appropriate evaluation methods are being used.
- Additional areas that may be considered: the importance of the problem addressed; the seriousness of the proposal to the library's needs; whether the program will improve delivery of services to user.
GrantWatch ID#: 160079
The H.W. Wilson Library Staff Development Grant is an annual award consisting of $3,500 and a 24k gold-framed citation.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: http://www.ala.org/tools/hw-wilson-library-staff-development-grant-application
Cheryl Malden, Program Officer
Work Phone: (312) 280-3247
Fax: 312 944-3897
American Library Association
50 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta; British Columbia; Manitoba; New Brunswick; Newfoundland and Labrador; Northwest Territories; Nova Scotia; Nunavut; Ontario; Prince Edward Island; Quebec; Saskatchewan; Yukon;
Fundraising opportunity for USA, Canada, and International nonprofit organizations to host a jazz concert held in honor of their organization or cause. Applicants must contact the funding source prior to applying. In addition to funds raised through concert ticket sales
Grants of up to $3,000 to USA and Canada nonprofit organizations for projects to protect wildlife and natural habitats. Funding is intended for campaigns to save specific species and ecosystems. Eligible activities include public policy work, litigation, advocacy, and d
Grants to USA and Canada individuals and families with low-income for financial assistance. Types of assistance include financial support to offset emergency expenses or to cover the cost of regular monthly bills. Funding is intended for workers and households that are
Grants of up to $7,500 to Alberta ENGOs, charities, and First Nations to address critical environmental issues. Funding is intended for community projects that strengthen ecosystems. Grants support community-based projects that typically focus on local opportunities for
Grants to Alberta organizations in eligible locations for activities that will benefit local residents. Funding is intended to assist organizations in achieving goals and implementing projects designed to enhance the community. Eligible applicants must be focused on ini
Grants and in-kind donations to Alberta registered charities in eligible regions for community benefit programs. The Foundation's goal is to help enrich lives and eradicate social issues while finding long-term solutions to build strong, vibrant, and safe communities. F
Grants ranging from $750 to $2,500 to Canada nonprofit organizations and individuals for programs that promote outdoor safety and encourage youth and outdoor leaders to avoid outdoor risks. Funds may be used to train and educate youth and outdoor leaders on risk avoidan
Grants of up to $5,000 to USA, Canada, and International individuals for research to benefit the health and safety of children and youth. Funding is intended to support research by graduate students and faculty affiliated with an educational or charitable nonprofit inst
Grants of up to $1,000 to USA and Canada animal shelters, rescue agencies, and individuals to assist with costs of urgent medical care for animals that are injured, abused, or neglected. Funding is intended to relieve financial strain, help animals recover, and eventual
Grants to Alberta nonprofit community organizations for a broad range of activities to benefit the local community. Some applicants are required to contact the Funding Source prior to submission of a full proposal. Funding is intended to support projects in the areas of