National Network of Libraries of Medicine Pacific Northwest Region (NNLM PNR)
03/01/19 5:00 PM
Grants of up to $7,000 to USA public libraries in eligible states for research and assessment of health initiatives in underserved populations. Organizations must be located in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington. Funding is intended to assess the effectiveness of previous programs.
Applications for funding should include how libraries will reach populations within their communities with an emphasis on reaching populations historically underrepresented in biomedical research (UBR), such as:
- Race/Ethnicity: Is reported and is Hispanic, Latino or Spanish; race is reported and identified as something other than White
- Age: Under 18 or over 65
- Sex: Assigned female or intersex at birth
- Sexual and Gender Minorities (SGM): Is reported and is not Man, or is different than participant- reported sex at birth; sexual orientation is reported and is not straight
- Income relative to FPL: Is reported and below Federal Poverty Level
- Educational Attainment: Is reported and is less than a high school degree
- Geography: Zip code is reported and is contained in the list of rural zip codes (>50% of population resides in a non-metro county and/or rural Census Tract)
- Access to Care: Participant needed or needs any medical visit in the past 12 months or currently, but cannot readily use the health care system or could not pay for medical care as needed
- Disability: Participant has a physical and/or mental disability
The purpose of this award is to enable organizations to assess the health, health information access, health information services or program needs of underserved populations; or to assess the effectiveness of previous health outreach program activities. This award should enable applicants to plan outcomes-based outreach projects to underserved populations. Applications must describe the need for the resulting assessment data and its future use.
The Assessment Award seeks to address the following aims from the NNLM PNR cooperative agreement:
- Conduct assessments to learn what improvements in service or new support is needed to meet the health information needs of underserved populations and to evaluate effectiveness of current programs.
- To develop a network of public libraries and community organizations that support the goals of the National Library of Medicine and the NNLM All of Us Community Engagement Network.
This award is intended to cover costs such as personnel, registration fees, travel/mileage costs, reproduction costs, shipping costs, and other costs. Indirect costs may be included, but due to the nature and small amount of the award, applicants are encouraged to waive them. Expenses are also allowed to publicize a health information service, event or resource, including NLM or NNLM resources or services, but the allowable costs are limited to educational materials or publicity, such as posters, displays, flyers, bookmarks, or brochures.
GrantWatch ID#: 184487
Up to 5
Up to $7,000
Funding Period: Thursday, November 1, 2018 to Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Applicants must be from public libraries, or from other NNLM member organizations in partnership with public libraries.
Applicants must be members of NNLM PNR. Membership is free and open to institutions interested in improving equitable access to health information.
Applicants who have not previously received NNLM funding for an outreach project, or have only received funding once, are especially encouraged to apply.
Furniture is not allowed and food is not allowed unless certain circumstances apply.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2019 - 5:00 PM
The PNR staff will acknowledge your application when received, and notification of awards will be given within four weeks.
Information on registering as a UW supplier:
Grants and Proposal Writing course materials:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply for NNLM PNR membership, submit an online membership application:
Submit the completed application as an email attachment to NNLM PNR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For assistance, please contact:
Cathy Burroughs, Associate Director, NNLM PNR
USA: Alaska; Idaho; Montana; Oregon; Washington