Foundation / Corporation
An award of up to $15,000 and an award of up to $20,000 to doctoral students enrolled in graduate programs at USA and Canada schools for research and writing of dissertations on architecture and its role in society, arts and culture, including history, engineering, and urban planning.
The award assists students enrolled in graduate programs in architecture, art history, the fine arts, humanities, and the social sciences working on architecture topics.
Projects may be drawn from the various fields of inquiry supported by the Graham Foundation: architectural history, theory, and criticism; design; engineering; landscape architecture; urban planning; urban studies; visual arts; and other related fields.
The Graham Foundation offers two Carter Manny Awards: one for a student at the research stage of the doctoral dissertation and one for a student at the writing stage of the doctoral dissertation.
The research award assists students with research that is essential to the doctoral project. The research award can be used for travel, documentation, materials, supplies, and other research and development costs. Applicants for a research award should have a clearly defined work plan, travel plan, and goals.
The research award is acknowledged with up to $15,000.
The writing award encourages timely completion of the Ph.D. by assisting students who are in the advanced stages of the dissertation with one year of writing. While some of the award funds may be used for final research, the award is intended to support and facilitate uninterrupted writing. Applicants for a writing award will be asked to submit a writing sample from the dissertation, a dissertation table of contents, and a writing schedule.
The writing award is acknowledged with up to $20,000.
Citations of Special Recognition
A limited number of Citations of Special Recognition may be determined in some years in recognition of outstanding projects.
GrantWatch ID#: 159992
Research award: up to $15,000
Writing award: up to $20,000
The one-year award period begins between June 1 and September 1, 2018, for the 2018–19 academic year.
Ph.D. students who are presently candidates for a doctoral degree are eligible to apply.
- Students must be nominated by their department to apply for the Carter Manny Award.
- A department may nominate up to two candidates: one for the research award and one for the writing award.
- At the time of application, students must have completed all requirements for the Ph.D. except the dissertation and have had their dissertation proposals formally approved by their academic departments.
- A student may reapply for the Carter Manny Award if a previous application was not successful. Due to limited funds, a student who received a research award or a writing award is not eligible to apply for another Carter Manny Award in subsequent years.
- The award is open to students officially enrolled in schools in the U.S. and Canada, regardless of citizenship.
Work being undertaken in pursuit of an academic degree is not otherwise eligible for Graham Foundation support.
Applicants for the Carter Manny Award undergo a competitive selection and review process. Students must be nominated by their department to apply for the Carter Manny Award. Submitted applications are thoroughly reviewed by a diverse panel of recognized scholars in the fields of inquiry represented by the award.
The annual application deadline for the Carter Manny Award is November 15. Applicants are notified of funding decisions in early spring of each year.
Calendar for the 2018 Carter Manny Award
- Application available online: September 15, 2017
- Application deadline: November 15, 2017
- Award decision notification: April 2018
- Award period: The one-year award period begins between June 1 and September 1, 2018, for the 2018–19 academic year.
Grant programs overview: http://www.grahamfoundation.org/grant_programs/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_776?SA=SNA&FID=35078
4 West Burton Place
Chicago, Illinois 60610
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon